Email Topics - Sendmail System
Important Note: Beginning September 2003 all websites are being setup using a new mailserver running Qmail. This change was made in order to provide additional features and flexibility including anti-virus filtering and user-configurable spam filtering. The documenation in this section covers the previous Sendmail mail system. For documentation on the new Qmail system please click here. Customers may switch their websites to the new mailserver by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your website, website password and contact email address.
Adjust the parameters of your email program as follows:
Incoming mail server (POP3): mail.your_domain.com
Username: your login name
Password: your password
'your_login_name' is either the login name for your web site or a pop3 email account username if you setup additional email accounts.
'your_domain.com' is the domain name for your web site at Intersessions
'your password' is either the password for your_login_name or the password for the pop3 email account that you setup.
We recommend that you use the outgoing mail server (SMTP server) provided by your local ISP. If you can't use that mail server you can use ours by inserting 'your_domain.com' as your outgoing mail server.
In order to prevent spammers from relaying email through our system our outgoing mailservers (SMTP) require authentication. This means that your email program must provide a valid login name and password before you can connect to send mail. You can enable authentication as follows in your email program as follows:
For Netscape (V4.7 - others should be similar):
Under Preferences > Mail and
Newsgroups > Mail Servers > Outgoing Mail Server - enter your_domain.com as
the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server and enter your_login_name as the Outgoing Mail Server
For Outlook Express (Outlook should
Under Tools > Accounts - click on your mail account > Mail > Properties
> Outgoing Mail Server - checkoff 'my server requires authentication' then >
Settings > checkoff 'log on using' and enter your_login_name and password
Adding email accounts
You can setup additional email accounts using the Hosting Control Panel (see the Navigation Menu on the left side of most web pages). Click on the icon titled "Add, change, delete email accounts" and follow the instructions.
Email aliases and forwards
Email aliases and forwards allow you to have mail addressed to 'sales@your_domain.com' to be forwarded to one of your email accounts or to a remote email on another network. You can setup aliases and forwards using the Hosting Control Panel. Click on the icon titled "Manage email aliases and forwarding".
Advanced topic - sending and receiving email under an alias name
Example: we want to send and receive email as 'email@example.com'
Create an alias 'info' that points to your POP3 email account (use the Email Alias and Forwarding Control Panel.)
- In Preferences > Mail & Newsgroup > Identity change 'Email Address' to 'firstname.lastname@example.org'.
- In Preferences > Mail & Newsgroups > Mail Servers > Outgoing Mail Server enter the name of your local ISP's Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server.
- In Preferences > Mail & Newsgroups > Mail Servers > Incoming Mail Server press 'Add' and enter 'mail.securityline.com' as the incoming POP3 mail server and enter your web site login name as the username.
- In Tools > Accounts > Mail >Properties > General >User Information change 'E-mail Address' to 'email@example.com'.
- In Tools > Accounts > Mail >Properties > General > Servers enter 'mail.securityline.com' as the incoming mail (POP3) server and your local ISP's Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server as the outgoing mail server. For the Incoming Mail Server Account Name enter your web site login name and you can also add your password, if desired.
Please note that the above are general instructions based on recent versions of Netscape and Outlook Express. Versions change frequently and the location of these parameters also change. Try to apply the above concepts to your version of these programs.
Mailing lists can be created from the Hosting Control Panel. Click on the icon titles "Manage Mailing Lists".
Back to Support Index
Copyright 1996-2012 Intersessions Inc. all rights reserved
Box 555, Tenafly, NJ 07670
201-569-1762 or 201-926-5170 (Voice), 201-569-7898 (Fax)